Lugar favorito para senderismo
The origins of Freudenberg Castle, also known as Freudenburg, go back to 1197. Here, Bishop Heinrich III. von Berg build a residential tower.
In 1361, among other things, the curtain wall and the palace were built by Eberhard von Wertheim. A further expansion and expansion of the castle into a fortified fortress with an imposing Renaissance building was carried out between 1497 and 1507 by Count Erasmus von Wertheim. A fore bailey was built through massive embankments. The imposing four-storey cannon tower on the Main side and a forecourt to secure the southern mountain side were built. Another protective wall with three small round towers was put in front of the kennel wall. The wall closed up to the south-west gate, which was additionally secured by a closed interior and a tower.
Access to the main castle was only possible after crossing a second and third gate.
In 1552 the castle was badly damaged in the Markgräflerkrieg and with the extinction of the Wertheimers in 1556, the castle deteriorated. The administration was moved to the city and only the cannon tower (especially in the witch trials after 1590) continued to be used as a prison. With the end of the Middle Ages, the castle fell into disrepair and overgrown with scrub and trees. It was forgotten for centuries. It was only after the Second World War that a citizens' initiative campaigned for the castle. It was gradually uncovered and renovated, and in 1995 it was returned to the public in a new condition. At the moment (as of 2012) the ring walls to the site and the cannon tower are being renovated. (Source: Wikipedia)
26 de julio de 2021
Inicia sesión para compartir tu conocimiento con más amantes de la aventura.